Friday, March 17, 2006

Brain Drain

I have to think today. Yes, the evil Think Master pointed his thinking stick in my direction and proclaimed, “You must think today my child!” My father likes to call me child. I thought when I was young it was just because he couldn’t remember my name. Although, now that he’s growing older, it could still be because he can’t remember my name. “Child, ya can’t learn any younger!” And thus, the thrill of learning was bestowed upon me. I took a quiz once that determined that I am a visual and kinesthetic learner. I much prefer to say that I’m a touchy feely learner. Learning to ride a bike is my most favorite memory of my father’s teachings. My form of braking often resembled Fred Flintstone’s barefoot braking method. I, however, was smart enough to know to wear shoes. The cries of “Use your brakes child!” sounded in my head as I proceeded to ram into the school building and the poor guy playing basketball on the totally empty school playground. I did feel really bad for giving him a puncture wound in the calf. Guess I’ve always liked a moving target. Neither incident helped with the learning curve though. That saying about see where you want to go not where you are afraid to go really doesn’t work for me. Hee hee, or does it? Luckily, learning to drive was a much smoother experience. Although, my father thought the ideal time for me to learn how to drive on ice was on a 2-lane one-way road with cars parked on both sides and my good friend in the back seat. “Slam on the brakes child!” Yep! Can’t learn any younger! So today I’m thinking. Thinking about how beautiful it is outside and that I’d much rather be on a mountain than stuck in the corner. When you were little, the corner was always the place for punishment. Well I’m here to tell ya the corner is actually quite nice. Ya know what else is really nice? Toasty blankets from the blanket warmer. Some day I will have one of those in my bathroom. Warm blankets after every shower or bath would be such a simple pleasure! I had to prepare myself to think today. Most often than not, I don’t have to work on Fridays. I have a sense of calm and peace on Thursday nights knowing that the next day is all about me. Sure, I still have the office responsibilities, paperwork, scheduling of massage, planning of playtime, you know the important things in life. But I’m learning. I’m learning that it’s not so bad to sit in the corner wrapped in a nice warm blanket and think…on a Friday.